Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Long time, no post

I don't know if anyone is still checking for posts, since I haven't posted in quite awhile, but here you go.


The last few weeks have been very, very tough, on Mom especially. I think all the classic cliches about being numb at first and then everything hitting you at once really apply here. It all started around Mom and Dad's anniversary, March 11. She had a really hard time with that one. But so far, we are muddling through, one day at a time. I find that work is the best time of day for me personally--that I am able to deal in a very detached way while working. It is when I am alone--in the car, cooking dinner, or going to sleep--that things start to puddle in my mind. In fact, going to sleep has become a difficult time for me for the first time in my life. (Funny, since Daddy was always a problem sleeper--apparently he decided to bequeath that to me).


Mark and I did get down to Slidell to visit with Aunt Sandy and Uncle Wyatt, along with Grandma and all the other family, for spring break. It was the most wonderful trip I have had in a long, long time. It did my heart good just to spend time with family. I have never in my life gone to Slidell and not had a fantastic time, but this was just great. We had a super family gathering for Lee's birthday on Saturday night, and all the family was there. Danny, Uncle Fred, Lee, Jeffrey, Tommy, Susan, Dennis, Melissa, Aunt June, Uncle Courtney, Grandma, and of course Aunt Sandy and Uncle Wyatt were all part of the celebration.

Mark and I went without our kiddos, so we took advantage of the opportunity to have some grown-up time, including going into the Quarter for an afternoon. We were glad to see them when we got back, though!

Please continue to pray for Mom! Laura and I (and the rest of our siblings) live in our own houses and have spouses and kids and jobs to keep us occupied, but Mom is there in an empty house that is full of 28 years of memories, and while she is keeping very busy and really doing fabulously, I truly can't imagine what that must be like.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Hi Holly. I was really glad to see a new post from you. You and your family have entered my mind as spring begins. I do think it's great for you to record your thoughts (the one of your dad bequeathing sleeplessness was really something!) and your blog will be part of your healing.

Your mom sounds very special. I will continue to keep her in my prayers, and I hope Easter will bring her some joy.

Did your folks give you/the kids greeting cards at holidays? One thing that has been touching for me is to look for/find those cards my mom sent me. If you can find one from an Easter past it could make this one especially sweet.