Thursday, February 5, 2009

Peace at Last

Dear loved ones,

My dear, precious, flawed father passed away at about 9:45 this evening.

His passing was so peaceful, and for that I am thankful. All afternoon, he sounded horrible, rattling and gurgling as he struggled for breath. But later this evening, maybe around 8:00, the gurgling and rattling stopped. A little after that, he tried to open his eyes just a bit. We immediately crowded around him and began talking to him, telling him how much we love him and that it was okay to give up the fight. I do not know if he heard us, but it was so comforting to see some tiny bit of consciousness.

A little after 9:30, we began to notice that his breaths were slowing and becoming more shallow. They became more and more infrequent until finally there were no more.

Daddy was surrounded by people who loved him dearly, and what better way to go? In addition to Mom, Laura, Eric, and me, there were Darrell and Teresa, Joyce Moser, Aunt Carolyn, Uncle H.L., and Bill Griffith. Tim and Doris got there almost immediately (within a minute) after he died, and bless his heart, Eric Widner showed up about twenty minutes later. He tried desperately to make it, and just couldn't get there in time.

There is so much more to write, and Iwill try to do so tomorrow, but for now, I am beyond exhausted. All of the emotional numbness of the past few weeks fell away this afternoon, and I have not stopped crying. It will be a miracle if I am able to open my eyes in the morning.

I am thankful that God took Daddy home and spared him further indignity and suffering. I would give anything to have seen his face as he saw the face of God for the first time. I am thankful for our amazing friends and family.

Right now, very tentative plans are to have visitation from 2-4 and from 6-9 on Monday, with the funeral on Tuesday. I will post the definite arrangements tomorrow when they are finalized.

Thank you for your love, for your thoughts, for your kind deeds, and for your prayers.

Much love to you,

Holly

1 comment:

mirandabarker said...

I am thankful that Nanny gave me the blog site and I was able to keep up with the final moments. God bless your family. I am so glad that you all can find peace through all the sorrow. I love you all dearly. Oh what joy to be with the Lord, may Uncle Doug rest in peace.
Your cousin,
Miranda