Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wednesday evening

We believe time is growing very short.

Dad is essentially sleeping 24 hours a day, waking for only seconds at a time, and in addition, he has begun making some horrible noises as he tries to cough something up--I don't know if it is just phlegm, or if his lungs have begun to fill with fluid, but it sounds terrible as he tries to dislodge whatever it is.

I know I don't have to say this, but it is truly, truly breathtakingly wrenching to see one's father in this condition, and so I think I speak for all of the immediate family when I say that if God is not going to heal him (and honestly, I can't possibly see how that is His plan, at this point), that we pray for the Lord to take our daddy as quickly as possible. I am so thankful that he seems to be very unaware, for the indignity of his situation strikes me anew every time I walk into Mom and Dad's house.

For now, although I am not a doctor, I will be bold enough to posit that we are looking at days. If you want my frank opinion, I'll be surprised if he makes it through the weekend, but please remember that we said that about my grandmother for three weeks. Truly, I have no idea what I'm talking about--it's just my humble opinion based on what I am seeing.

One last note--I have been so blessed by the emails I have gotten from so many of Dad's friends and family who read this blog. I honestly had no idea that there were so many. Thank you for your support, thoughts, prayers, and kind words. We are broken-hearted, but so blessed by those around us at this time.

No comments: